Monday, March 10, 2014

Wardrobe Busting/Creating - Work Wear March

I am a very impulsive person, and when I make up my mind to do something, I usually go all in.  Really I mean to the point, I am scratching my head thinking what have I done.  After standing in my closet last week way too long looking for something to wear to work, I decided I need to revamp my wardrobe.  

Well this weekend I did just that, in one of my impulsive moments I decided to clean out my closet and get rid of anything I haven't touched in the past year.  I just started loading garbage bags with clothing, not really even paying attention to what I shoved in the bag.  I will donate these items to the Women's Shelter very soon. 

I did have some exceptions though.  A lot of my clothing is what I call forever wear.  Those are the items that will always be in style and classic (in my eyes anyway).  I do not prescribe to a certain type of style I am just simply me doing what I like.

I have known for awhile that I needed to work on my work wardrobe, because I wear the same items pretty much in my rotation.  I always knew this would be a great way for me to get busy and push myself to sew more.  

So, with all that being said, I decided to make March my Work Wear Month.  Where I will create items I can wear to work and maybe even transition into casual.  I work in a law office in a very large Bank Building.  I like to look classy but I want to be comfortable as well.  Spending more than half of your day in an office building, yes I have to be comfortable. 

So this weekend, I started with my first wardrobe addition:


The pants are New Look 6191 which are the same pattern I used for my camouflage pants.   I used a linen/cotton blend.  The fit is not as good as with the camo pants but I do like them.  I think I may tweak them a little to get the fit I want.  

The top is McCalls 6841.  Now I am very pleased with with how it came out, and I can see a few more in my immediate future.  The fabric is from FabricMart.com and its a light silky jersey knit, that flows very well. 

Happy Sewing! 

14 comments :

  1. Great idea.. I just went through my closet and did the same thing.. Feels good to see the closet slim down too.. And if I had not worn it in a year..Most likely , I would never wear it.. Or that is how I rationalized it,ha.
    I love the new out fit!!! So pretty.. Happy sewing in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Judy. I try to do this twice a year. I just seem to accumulate so much stuff.

      Delete
  2. You are the second person to mention working on the work wardrobe. Plus, you completed M6841 - just as I did. I am going to take this as a sign. =) Now I need to purge my closet. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is Hot Mel. So you say you had garbage bags of stuff huh? Brave women you are. I am encoraged by you. If this pants and top are any indication of what's to come were talkin some seriously cute, chic and fabulous fashion! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri. You know I love everything you. Please keep encouraging me. I sure need it.

      Delete
  4. Love the look of this combo. OK, I must get my closet cleaned out (I wear hardly anything in it). You have sew (so) encouraged me to fill this closet with "designed and created by me" items. Great job Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah thanks my friend. My closet was busting at the seams, and I only had about 5 outfits that I would actually wear on a regular. This has motivated me to push that pedal and get to sewing.

      Delete
  5. Very nice combo. I love the colors! I need that top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm getting ready to go through my closet and do a true clean out. There must be something in the air! Great choice on your new work place into casual garment. Classy and comfortable. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda, just put your bag full of outfits in the mail, I'll send you my address. I love everything you do.

      Delete
  7. Girl....you've been cranking these projects out! I've taken a little break. I've got so much unworn projects that I'm running out of room. LOL. Keep up the good work and keep inspiring me! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natasha thanks my friend. Actually you have been my inspiration for a lot of things. I am trying to keep up with your grind. I am all kinds of proud of you.

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comment. Have a great day!

IT'S MELANIE DARLING // BLOG DESIGN BY CHIC PIXELS