Monday, March 24, 2014

A New Me in Progress!

This past weekend, we lay to rest my first cousin Randy.   It has been some years since I had seen him.  Though we were close growing up, with the death of grandparents, divorces and growing up and discovering our lives we lost contact.   He was only 4 years older than me, so at 50 he has gone on to his final resting place.  He left this earth because of poor health.  He had a massive heart attack while walking from a corner store.   He was also diabetic who had already loss 2 fingers. 

When I got the news, I was really upset, because as some of you know, I have been helping my Sister who at 41 years old is a brittle diabetic on an insulin pump, has a weak heart with an implanted defibrillator and pacemaker.  She also suffers from gout, neuropathy, sleep apnea, and myriad of ailments.  I am constantly talking and fussing with her about her eating habits, her weight and her refusal to take her condition serious. 

My families on both sides have a history of heart decease and diabetes.   So I have been working on me for quite some time now.  I started exercising and working with a Personal Trainer last August.  I have seen some results though I could be working harder and doing more.  

With all this being said. I just wan the world to know that I am changing, I am living a better, healthier life.



Now back to sewing!

8 comments :

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin. I lost my cousin two years ago to diabetes as well; he was 38. We have to do better at taking care of our physical, mental, and emotional selves. I applaud your efforts at improving your health and support you 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you in your decision to become healthier. As I age, I am finding that my body is feeling the effects of my poor choices. I too have hired a personal trainer and following a healthier eating regimen.Best wishes on your journey to wellness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Mel. So sorry to hear this. Losing a family and friend is always a hard thing to deal with. I pray that your family find the strength and courage to come to peace with this lost. It's certainly a lot harder to live a healthier lifestyle than the alternative. I'm so proud of you and the declaration that you've taken to live a much healthier and purposeful life. Keep it up hun. Cheers to a new us! I'm on the same journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. Anything is attainable through hard work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! God bless. Your changes will inspire others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear this news Melanie.

    About you though - Its very important to look after yourself, especially if you have a family history of diabetes and so on. Exercise and a good low GI diet work wonders. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Thanks for spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. Have a great day!

IT'S MELANIE DARLING // BLOG DESIGN BY CHIC PIXELS