Monday, March 28, 2016

Butterick 5850: Resurrection Sunday Dress.

This dress makes me smile.  I had something totally different to wear for Easter, a white linen trapeze style dress that I will share later.  I ordered a pair of orange suede pumps to wear with my white dress, but when I received them they didn't fit and I didn't have time to find an alternate pair so I decided to wear this dress that was working on anyway.  It turned out to be an awesome backup plan. 

The fabric is from Fine Fabrics in Atlanta, I picked it up in February for a client piece, but my client decided to back out and go buy a dress.  It's a Wax African Print, a little heavy, but draped well. 

I have mad this pattern several times, but mostly out of Taffeta or special occasion fabric. 





Quick Review:


  • I did not like the instructions when it got to the neck section.  I really didn't need the instructions as I have made this particular dress before and a few others like it. 

  • I didn't line my dress because the fabric was heavy and double sided and not see through.  

  • I used store bought binding for my arms and did a sewing machine hem after serging edges.    

  • I added 4 inches to the side ties for length.  

  • For the neck portion of the pattern I just gathered it so it would sit nicely on my neck without riding up.  

  • There is a side sipper, and I extended right into the arm hole and used an invisible zipper.  

  • There is four panels for the skirt portion of the dress and I added two inches to each panel for fullness. 


Happy Sewing!

10 comments :

  1. Nice color and print. The drape is nice for it to be wax print. The length makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie this is adorable! Client backed out - bummer, left over fabric - SCORE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this on Instagram and I'm thrilled I got to read a little about it's creation here. That is one stunning dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress. Perfect for Resurrection Sunday. I have had that pattern since it was released and have no idea why I have not made it. Great styling as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot tell you how much I love this on you! the fabric is so perfect with this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG.... You look so gorgeous sis.... This dress is a bomb. I really love the fabric ...gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dress and looks fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. Have a great day!

IT'S MELANIE DARLING // BLOG DESIGN BY CHIC PIXELS