Monday, December 22, 2014

Selfless Sewing: Giving Back and Sewing for the Youth of My Church

I belong to a small community church in Orlando, Washington Shores Presbyterian Church.  Our congregation is small but rich in history.  Our members are older, and most are either community leaders, and retired educators.  I think that is why I love it so much, I feel at home, and it is not overpowering but nurturing.  Because my Church is dead smack in the middle of a inner city community and right next door to an elementary school, we have children that attend our church who parents do not.   

Every Sunday our church provide a hot meal to the children when they come.  A good hot meal with, eggs, bacon, toast, biscuits, grits, sausage, well you get the picture.  We have members that really reach out to the children in our community and we love having them.  

I was asked to help with the Annual Christmas Program, and if I would provide my sewing services and make much needed costumes.  I was glad to be apart of giving back to these young people who has given our church so much life.  

Here are a couple of the costumes I made:   

Costumes


and I will share more when with the children wearing them when I can.   I was tasked to make 4 Angels, 5 Wise Men and 5 Shepard's.  

I thank my wonderful coworkers for providing sheets that I used to make most of the costumes.  I work with a wonderful group of people who are always eager to support. 

Happy Sewing!

2 comments :

  1. Your church sounds like a wonderful one and such a great sense of community. Merry Christmas and beautiful nativity sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a sweetheart helping out with these costumes for the kiddos. I love the smaller churches, because its like you said the history is so rich and the people are so genuine. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment. Have a great day!

IT'S MELANIE DARLING // BLOG DESIGN BY CHIC PIXELS