This dress makes me smile. I had something totally different to wear for Easter, a white linen trapeze style dress that I will share later. I ordered a pair of orange suede pumps to wear with my white dress, but when I received them they didn't fit and I didn't have time to find an alternate pair so I decided to wear this dress that was working on anyway. It turned out to be an awesome backup plan.
The fabric is from Fine Fabrics in Atlanta, I picked it up in February for a client piece, but my client decided to back out and go buy a dress. It's a Wax African Print, a little heavy, but draped well.
I have mad this pattern several times, but mostly out of Taffeta or special occasion fabric.
- I did not like the instructions when it got to the neck section. I really didn't need the instructions as I have made this particular dress before and a few others like it.
- I didn't line my dress because the fabric was heavy and double sided and not see through.
- I used store bought binding for my arms and did a sewing machine hem after serging edges.
- I added 4 inches to the side ties for length.
- For the neck portion of the pattern I just gathered it so it would sit nicely on my neck without riding up.
- There is a side sipper, and I extended right into the arm hole and used an invisible zipper.
- There is four panels for the skirt portion of the dress and I added two inches to each panel for fullness.